Sunday, January 15, 2017

Matched by Ally Condie

Matched by Ally Condie
Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Speak (2011)
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

I have to admit I really didn't care for this book. I'm really starting to hate the trend of Dystopian books where people are separated for bizarre (i.e. dumb) reasons with no real explanations for the separations. (E.g. The Hunger Games, Divergent, Uglies, or Delirium.) Seriously, who in the future is going to think that love is a disease you need a vaccine against, or that you have live with only being self-less in your faction, but you can't be honest and self-less, because that'd mean your "Divergent."

So, I've read a few reviews where people compare (actually most say stolen) the book to Lowis Lowry's The Giver, but I have to honestly admit that I've never read that book, yet. To me the story was very much like George Orwell's 1984. The whole, wearing uniforms, having to like/love someone in secret, the taking the pills every day, and the curfews just screamed 1984 to me.

I think part of why it was hard for me to read this book was I had just finished Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard, which has all the Young Adult Dystopian tropes, and so does Matched. Either way, I won't be reading the next book in the series, which is Crossed if you do want to read it.

Currently watching:

Elementary: Season 3
I really like that Lucy Liu's Joan Watson isn't seen as a love interest for Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock Holmes. I think that it is great that Watson, after spending time with Holmes and learning from him, is shown as a competent detective in her own right.

Currently reading:

The Seafront Tearoom by Vanessa Greene
Not something that I would normally read, since it isn't genre fiction! But we'll see how it goes. It does involve tea, lots of tea, and I do love tea.


If you'd like to request that I review a book please leave a comment. Include a brief description of the book, including which genre it is. Please also note if the book is an ARC and whether you are self-published.

Swagbucks it is how I make money for amazon gift cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...